Vietnam: A Televised History is a 13 part 1983 American documentary series about the Vietnam War from the perspective of the United States, it was originally broadcast by PBS. In 1997 the series was broadcast again but with two of the episodes dropped, for this reason you will also find this series uploaded online with just eleven episodes.
At the time of the broadcast the series was the most popular documentary ever produced by PBS with almost 9% of American households having tuned in to watch the first episode, with each episode achieving an average of 9.7 million viewers. The idea for the series was initially discussed by filmmaker Richard Ellison and journalist Stanley Karnow, the latter would author an accompanying bestselling book.
We have all thirteen episodes of the series available to watch here on Documentary Vine, navigate them via the numbered tabs beneath the video player or by using the episode link list below. When you have finished stick around and watch more Vietnam War documentaries.
- Episode 1: Roots of a War (1945-1953)
- Episode 2: The First Vietnam War
- Episode 3: America’s Mandarin (1954-1963)
- Episode 4: LBJ Goes to War (1964-1965)
- Episode 5: America Takes Charge (1965-1967)
- Episode 6: Americas Enemy (1954-1967)
- Episode 7: Tet 1968
- Episode 8: Vietnamizing the War (1968-1973)
- Episode 9: Cambodia and Laos
- Episode 10: Peace is at Hand (1968-1973)
- Episode 11: Homefront USA
- Episode 12: The End of the Tunnel (1973-1975)
- Episode 13: Legacies (1973+)