The Untold History of the United States is a 2012 documentary series directed by and narrated by the writer and filmmaker Oliver Stone. The series tells the story of the reasons behind the start of the Cold War, the process which led to the decision to drop the Atomic bomb, and the evolution of America’s global role in the years which have followed the collapse of communism.
The ten episode series took four years to make, with Oliver Stone and the historian Peter J. Kuznick beginning work on the project in 2008; it went $1 million over budget with Stone making up the shortfall from his own funds. A 750 page book written by Stone and Kuznick was also published to accompany the series.
- Episode 1: World War Two
- Episode 2: Roosevelt, Truman & Wallace
- Episode 3: The Bomb
- Episode 4: Cold War: Truman, Wallace, Stalin, Churchill & The Bomb
- Episode 5: The 50’s, Eisenhower, the Bomb, & the Third World
- Episode 6: JFK, Khrushchev & the Bomb: To The Brink
- Episode 7: Vietnam, LBJ, Nixon & Third World: Reversal of Fortune
- Episode 8: Reagan, Gorbachev & Third World: Revival of Fortune
- Episode 9: Bush & Clinton: Squandered Peace – New World Order
- Episode 10: Bush & Obama: Age of Terror