An eight part 2006 BBC documentary series written and presented by British historian Simon Schama, the series was also broadcast on channels in Canada (TVOntario), Australia (ABC1), United States (PBS) and in numerous other countries throughout Europe and beyond. Each of the one hour long episodes focuses on the biography of one historically important artist and one of that artists key works, some scenes use dramatisation for reenactments.
All eight one hour long episodes are currently available to watch here on Documentary Vine, navigate them via the numbered tabs beneath the video player or by using the episode list below. Schama also authored a 448 page book to accompany the series.
- Episode 1: Caravaggio – David with the Head of Goliath
- Episode 2: Bernini – Ecstasy of Saint Teresa
- Episode 3: Rembrandt – The Conspiracy of Claudius Civilis
- Episode 4: David – The Death of Marat
- Episode 5: Turner – The Slave Ship
- Episode 6: Van Gogh – Wheatfield with Crows
- Episode 7: Picasso – Guernica
- Episode 8: Rothko – Black on Maroon