A documentary series written and presented by James Burke, a science historian and author. Originally broadcast in the United Kingdom 1985, the series focuses on how advances in science and technology have altered the philosophical aspects of western society. The title comes from the philosophical idea that the universe only exists as one perceives it, meaning that if one changes their perception then the universe has changed. The series was broadcast by PBS in the United States in 1986 and again by another network in 1993.
We have all ten episodes of the series available to watch here on Documentary Vine, navigate between them via the numbered tabs beneath the video player or by using the episode link list below.
- Episode 1: The Way We Are: It Started with the Greeks
- Episode 2: In the Light of the Above: Medieval Conflict – Faith & Reason
- Episode 3: Point of View: Scientific Imagination in the Renaissance
- Episode 4: A Matter of Fact: Printing Transforms Knowledge
- Episode 5: Infinitely Reasonable: Science Revises the Heavens
- Episode 6: Credit Where It’s Due: The Factory & Marketplace Revolution
- Episode 7: What the Doctor Ordered: Social Impacts of New Medical Knowledge
- Episode 8: Fit to Rule: Darwin’s Revolution
- Episode 9: Making Waves: The New Physics – Newton Revised
- Episode 10: Worlds Without End: Changing Knowledge, Changing Reality
James Burke also authored a companion book of the same title for the series which expanded on the series in greater detail, he also read from the book for an audio-cassette version which has also been released on CD. The book is out of print but still easy to pick up in used condition from Amazon.