The Civil War is a 9 part documentary series created by celebrated filmmaker Ken Burns for PBS, first aired by that network in 1990. The series tells the story of the American Civil War which began in 1861 and concluded in 1865, charting the reasons for the start of the war and its key events. Burns is notable for having created numerous other great series for PBS including The War (2007) which tells the story of World War II.
We have all nine episodes of this series available to watch here on Documentary Vine, navigate between the episodes via the numbered tabs beneath the video player or the episode link list below. This series was also released in verbatim in book format.
- Episode 1: The Cause (1861)
- Episode 2: A Very Bloody Affair (1862)
- Episode 3: Forever Free (1862)
- Episode 4: Simply Murder (1863)
- Episode 5: The Universe of Battle (1863)
- Episode 6: Valley of the Shadow of Death (1864)
- Episode 7: Most Hallowed Ground (1864)
- Episode 8: War Is All Hell (1865)
- Episode 9: The Better Angels of Our Nature (1865)