Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire is a 2008 documentary series by the History Channel with a total length of thirteen hours, split into thirteen individual episodes. It focuses on the various tribal wars against Germanic, Britannic, and Barbarian tribes which would eventually result in the decline and then fall of the Roman empire. It focuses on key events which contributed to the decline, the leaders involved, and other events which led to their downfall including plagues, mass starvation, and internal power struggles.
The series is played out in chronological historical order with dramatized re-enactments to show constant wars with the Barbarians and other tribes led to the depletion of Roman resources and would ultimately see them defeated. We have all thirteen episodes available to watch here on Documentary Vine, navigate them via the numbered tabs beneath the video player or by using the episode list below. This series is not to be confused with the similarly named six part BBC / Discovery Channel series Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire (2006).
- Episode 1: The First Barbarian War
- Episode 2: Spartacus
- Episode 3: Julius Caeser
- Episode 4: The Forest of Death
- Episode 5: The Invasion of Britain
- Episode 6: The Dacian Wars
- Episode 7: Rebellion and Betrayal
- Episode 8: Wrath of the Gods
- Episode 9: The Soldiers’ Emperor
- Episode 10: Constantine the Great
- Episode 11: The Barbarian General
- Episode 12: The Puppet Master
- Episode 13: The Last Emperor